Subject: FW: XFree86-bin-icons .. believe cygwin xfree86 a "red" herring ... this is I believe a cygwin problem
From: "Alan Miles" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:56:53 -0500

All,

This is attempt 4 - I cannot seem to get the attachment there, since I get:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sources.redhat.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email-masked]>:
ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry, I don't accept messages larger than 100000 bytes
(#5.2.3)

<[email-masked]>:
ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry, I don't accept messages larger than 50000 bytes
(#5.2.3)

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

and according to my emailer the attachment is 777kB.

I did try and send the cygcheck etc.
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Miles [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: September 29, 2003 23:34
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: FW: XFree86-bin-icons .. believe cygwin xfree86 a "red" herring
... this is I believe a cygwin problem

All,

This is attempt 3 ... the previous attempts failed because the emailer said
the messages, with the uncompressed log files was too big, and thus would
send them.

I have tarred and compressed them into the logs.tgz file - manifest:

logs/
logs/cygcheck_results_machine1_works.txt
logs/cygcheck_results_machine2_doesnt_work.txt
logs/setup_machine1_works.log
logs/setup_machine1_works.log.full
logs/setup_machine2_doesnt_work.log
logs/setup_machine2_doesnt_work.log.full

Alan
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Miles [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: September 29, 2003 23:11
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: XFree86-bin-icons .. believe cygwin xfree86 a "red" herring
... this is I believe a cygwin problem

All,

I believe this problem relates to the items listed in

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg01680.html - RE: Install gets to 99%
and then stops
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg00747.html - Setup 2.358 Hangs
During Post-Install Script

Additionally I have two separate machines, one fully updated on 26-Sep-2003
(which exhibits the problem) and one updated today that doesn't.

Differences:

1/ The 26-Sep-2003 machine uses the ** latest ** setup.exe (files labelled
machine2, doesnt_work)
2/ Today's update use the previous older version (file labelled
machine1_work)
3/ I built special private install packages for 26-Sep-2003 machine which I
have uses successfully for several months which do ** NOT ** involve
XFree86 and these packages also exhibit:

Something strange is going on here... setup.exe says "Running: No
Package /etc/postinstal/<packagename>".  What is up with the "No
Package"?

My packages deal with my special problem with the password file (published
on this list), the jar command, script etc. The setup.log.full contains the
/usr/bin/bash -x dump of the /etc/postinstall/ files.
4/ When investigating, the problem in 3, I to found the 'cygpath' problem in
** my ** private packages (which as stated do ** NOT ** involve XFree86)

This leads me to believe that there is some kind of interaction between the
new setup.exe and cygpath that is causing the problem.

I am attaching both sets of setup.log, setup.log.full, and the cygcheck
output for both machines.

Also I noticed within the file setup_machine2_doesnt_work.log.full:

Transcript written on amstex.log.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/lambda.oft installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/omega.oft installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/amstex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/latex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdftex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/tex.fmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/elatex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/etex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdfelatex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/pdfetex.efmt installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mpost.mem installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mf.base installed.
fmtutil: /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mfw.base installed.
install_link failed for /usr/bin/latex. File already exists.
Checking for psfonts.map in config.ps... no.  Adding ... done
2003/09/27 00:32:49 running: H:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/postinstall-lilypond.sh
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [path...] [expression]
rm: too few arguments
Try `rm --help' for more information.
2003/09/27 00:32:50 running: H:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/proftpd.sh
2003/09/27 00:32:50 running: H:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/robots.sh
2003/09/27 00:32:51 running: H:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c /etc/postinstall/rpm.sh
2003/09/27 00:32:52 running: H:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/splint.sh
2003/09/27 00:32:52 running: H:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/squid-postinstall.sh
will not overwrite existing /etc/squid.conf
will not overwrite existing /etc/mime.conf
2003/09/27 00:32:52 running: H:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe -c
/etc/postinstall/sysvinit.sh
Creating /usr/bin/init-config
Creating default /etc/rc file

There is an issue with the find command.

Additionally when I look at http://cygwin.com/setup.html

I don't see any documentation for the /etc/preremove scripts (although I am
very certain the Igor or others wrote this, since I did see some diffs
flying around for it), nor any docs /etc/postremove.

I am going to hazard a guess somebody is going to get upset with me for
altering the subject line, since this might break the threading, but I want
people to read this email ...

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Harold L Hunt II [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: September 29, 2003 12:16
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: XFree86-bin-icons

[Discussion on this issue is now taking place where it should have in
the first place: cygwin-xfree.  Please follow the cygwin-xfree mailing
list for further posts.]

Igor,

Okay, that explains why I couldn't find the message in cygwin-xfree.  I
really wish someone would have redirected the question over here... I
never saw it.

 > FWIW, you can force the order of execution of the XFree86-bin-icons.sh
 > postinstall script by making the package dependent on XFree86-bin and
 > others, but that would most likely defeat the purpose of the package.

Thanks.  I actually did that just now, right before you suggested it.
However, I didn't know that it would force the order of post-install
script execution; that is a nice side-effect.  The bin-icons package
should logically depend on the bin package.  People can manually
unselect it if they want to.

>>>>>The XFree86-bin-icons package is buggy.  It's basically a postinstall
>>>>>script that tries to create icons for the X programs that are installed
>>>>>on your machine.  The problem is that it tries to create them in the
>>>>>Start Menu for "All Users" without checking whether the current user
can
>>>>>write to it.

That's not entirely true.  For example, my account has Administrator
priveleges on my machine, the script runs fine when I launch it from a
bash prompt; so file permissions are not an issue.

>>>>>I'm not quite sure why it hangs for you, but you can try
>>>>>runnning that script manually via "bash -x" and seeing where it hangs.

It doesn't hang when you do this.

Something strange is going on here... setup.exe says "Running: No
Package /etc/postinstal/XFree86-bin-icons".  What is up with the "No
Package"?  Is that indicating the real problem?

Another thing is that an Uninstall of XFree86-bin-icons also hangs when
it tries to run the preremove script.  Yet, running the preremove script
by hand never causes any problems (e.g. bash -x
/etc/preremove/XFree86-bin-icons.sh).

What gives?

Harold

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/