Subject: Re: Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:48:59 -0700

Stipe Tolj wrote:

>> With the same non-success. I had cranked up the loglevel in the hopes 
>> that something about the failure would be written to the logs but 
>> nothing is. How can I debug/fix this? Does Apache for Cygwin do any 
>> authentication at all?
>
> yes it does (or did ;) at least for a considerable time. I don't think 
> this is a Cygwin or Apache for Cygwin specific problem. I suggest it's 
> more to a mis-configuration.

I would tend to agree except this config worked with Apache for Windows.

> Did you try to have standard Basic HTTP Auth on a "fresh" httpd.conf 
> that comes from the distribution itself?

Good idea. Tried it. Didn't work:

$ net stop apache
The Cygwin Apache service is stopping........
The Cygwin Apache service was stopped successfully.

$ cd /etc/apache
$ mv httpd.conf httpd.conf.save
$ cp ../apache.new/httpd.conf httpd.conf
$ cp -rp ~/www/Internal/Release/addbug /var/www/htdocs
$ ll /var/www/htdocs/addbug
total 15
drwxr-xr-x+   2 adefaria Domain U        0 Sep 29 19:17 ./
drwx------+   4 adefaria Domain U        0 Sep 29 19:33 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U      132 Sep 29 19:17 .htaccess
-rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U       48 Sep 18 16:06 addbug_users
-rw-r--r--    1 adefaria Domain U        8 Sep 27 15:40 current_release
-rwxr-xr-x    1 adefaria Domain U     5293 Sep  9 17:05 index.cgi*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 adefaria Domain U     5233 May 19 17:10 index.cgi.save*

I had to add ExecCGI and index.cgi to httpd.conf but that's all I 
changed. When I went to "addbug" again it let me in there without any 
authentication. Nothing to report in the log files.

Perhaps we should take this offline...
===
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/