Subject: Re: ssh-keygen and slogin oddity
From: Patrick Eisenacher <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:19:54 +0200

Corinna,

do you have any reference for this?

Unless this is something inherent in the ssh protocol or its 
implementation, which I'm not familiar with, I'm not aware that crypto 
systems based on discrete logarithms (DSA) are less secure than those 
based on factoring large integers (RSA).

FWIW:
- RSA verifies much faster than DSA, whereas DSA signs faster than RSA
- RSA can also be used for en-/decryption, whereas DSA can not
- RSA was patented in the USA, but the patent ran out in the meantime
- strong encryption crypto (eg RSA) was export restricted from the US, 
but this restriction was deregulated

Patrick

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
[snip]
> Another btw., don't use DSA if you can avoid it.  Create your own
> RSA ssh2 key with ssh-keygen -t rsa.  It's supposed to be more secure
> than DSA keys.
> 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/