Subject: Re: Current OpenJade and DocBook SGML status
From: Patrick Eisenacher <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:25:41 +0200

Hi Ismael,

if you are setting up a new documentation system and you don't have to 
deal with existing SGML documents, then I strongly recommend you to move 
  to XML docbook. XML docbook gets considerably more development than 
SGML, which hardly makes any progress anymore these days. Furthermore 
Cygwin comes with everything necessary to start working with XML 
docbook: the XML validator xmllint (libxml), the XSL stylesheet 
processor xsltproc (libxslt), the XML docbook DTD and the latest XSL 
stylesheets. Cygwin also offers the xmlto frontend to xmllint and 
xsltproc available, if you don't want to deal with the various 
commandline switches.

The only drawback that the XSL world currently has, is the non-optimal 
print output generation, but you can also use the DSSSL stylesheets for 
that.

If you decide to stick with SGML, I remember from reading the 
docbook-apps mailing list (http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/) 
that OpenJade has some problems not present in Jade. So perhaps you want 
to give Jade a try before getting lost in OpenJade processor problems.

HTH,
Patrick

> Hi,
> 
> I have been trying to setup a documentation system on my Windows box, using Cygwin, and trying to use OpenJade and the DocBook SGML DTD and stylesheets.
> 
> Precompiled binaries downloaded from Markus Hoenicka page don't work for me, they core dump while compiling a SGML sample. Even worse, I have downloaded OpenJade sources from SourceForge.net (version 1.3), and after a lot of tweaking to achieve compiling them myself, they also core dump.
> 
> I have read about unofficial Cygwin packages, downloadable from www.toomanysecrets.com, but this URL seems to no longer work.
> 
> Any feedback on current OpenJade and SGML software available for a Cygwin platform will be very useful for me, so thanks in advance. I am using Cygwin 1.5.3(0.90/3/2).
> 
> Regards, Ismael

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/