Subject: Python 2.3 breaks Python bindings for libxml2/libxslt
From: Alex Lancaster <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Elfyn McBratney <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Sep 2003 02:13:59 -0700

Upgrading to Python 2.3-2 (now stable on Cygwin) breaks the
libxml2/libxslt Python bindings, because the current packages 

(see: http://www.cygwin.com/packages/libxml2/libxml2-2.5.7-1)

are built against Python 2.2, from above:

<snip>
Sat May 31 19:16:15 2003       0 usr/lib/python2.2/    
Sat May 31 19:16:24 2003       0 usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/
Sat May 31 19:16:15 2003   15097 usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/drv_libxml2.py
Sat May 31 19:16:15 2003  213077 usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py
Sat May 31 19:16:24 2003  812430 usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.a
Sat May 31 19:16:24 2003     914 usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.la
</snip>

This causes the bindings to fail:

$ python
>>> import libxml2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named libxml2

I would backgrade to Python 2.2, but it's gone now, replaced by
2.3-1, and AFAIK the modules aren't binary compatible between
versions, so I can't just fiddle around with adding the 2.2
site-packages path to PYTHONPATH.

Would it be possible to make new libxml2/libxslt packages against the
new Python 2.3?

Thanks,

Alex

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/