Subject: Re: postgres help
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Jason House <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:54:43 -0400

Jason,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:30:51AM -0400, Jason House wrote:
> JHOUSE@MM112379-2K ~
> $ cat /var/log/postmaster.log
> IpcSemaphoreInitialize: semctl(id=2, 0, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument
> LOG:  startup process (pid 2548) exited with exit code 1
> LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure

The above indicates that postmaster did not start up.  I have seen
reports of the above error message before.  Unfortunately, I have not
received definitive confirmation of a solution.

Does the following from the README help?

    2. It is recommended to delete all cygipc temporary files
    (/tmp/cygipc* and /tmp/MultiFile*) before starting postmaster under
    a different user account.  Otherwise, postmaster will fail to start
    due to IPC errors.  Note cygipc 2.x automatically removes these
    files during normal shutdown so this issue has been essentially
    obviated.

What PostgreSQL and cygipc versions are you running?

Jason

-- 
PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/