Subject: rsync - Socket operation on non-socket.
From: Andrew MacKenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:50:17 -0400

I've had trouble using rsync under Cygwin under Windows 2000 Server Service
Pack 4 (build 2195) for some time.  At first I thought it was only when
using ssh as a 'transport' to rsync remotely, but I've discovered that I
also have trouble using it locally.  As a possibly related issue, scp seems
to 'hang' after receiving or sending a 'large' (10's of meg) amount of
data.  

What I get when running rsync (note the two 'local' directories):
# rsync foo bar
rsync: read error: Socket operation on non-socket
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.6/io.c(177)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.6/io.c(177)

This problem seems to be rather specific to my system, as I've found no
other complaints similar to this.  I've posted issues to the rsync list,
and nobody seems to be able to help me there.  I suspect it's a cygwin
problem at this point.  Perhaps an error in my install?  I've "uninstalled"
and "reinstalled" cygwin a few times now to try to fix any problems that
may exist in my install, but to no avail.  

Any suggestions on what the problem may be?  

-- 
// Andrew MacKenzie  |  http://www.edespot.com
// GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key
// Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave.