Subject: Re: portable install on usb flash drive?
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:48:50 +0100

You could try the steps in this posting
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01117.html with your USB drive.
The only difference is that your USB drive will have a capacity way
exceeding that of a CD, and therefore it is capable of a full Cygwin
installation. All your mounts can be transient while you hook into the host
machine. The batch file cygmin.bat sees to all that. If you install XFree
and TeX (omitted from the CD version) don't forget to add /usr/X11R6/bin/ to
the PATH defined in ~/.bashrc. Also, since your USB drive is write-able
(yes) you will be able to leapfrog the arrangements made to address the fact
that a CD isn't.
Fergus
PS. Whoops, by flash drive I thought you meant one of those 10G items about
the size of a cigarette packet. Maybe you mean the thing about the size of a
cigarette with a 16M or 32M capacity? I think it will be a tight fit to cram
what you want into /bin/.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/