Subject: Re: Win2k and cygwin memory leak
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:33:48 +0100

Rolf Campbell <[email-masked]> wrote in
<[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:44:08 -0400:

> Does 
> windows claim to free all memory allocated by a process when it exits? 

It does, even on unexpected terminations. (Seg-faults and the like.)

> What about cygwin shared memory?

Unlike System V, Windows shared memory is transient. Once all handles
that reference it are closed Windows deallocates it. And Windows
closes all open handles for a process when the process exits, even if
this was caused by an unexpected termination.

So the Cygwin shared memory is automatically deallocated once the last
Cygwin process exits, irrespective of any bugs (memory leaks) in
Cygwin.

Again, /supposedly/. ;-)

Regards,
-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/