Subject: Re: What is the minimum needed to run gtar?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:07:51 -0700

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Yes, you're quite correct.  Cygcheck will only list the DLLs that the
> program is statically linked to (that is, it's linked to the import
> libraries).  If the program uses dlopen() or LoadLibrary() to load the
> library (like rxvt does with libX11/libW11), cygcheck will not list that
> library in the list of dependences.  A quick and dirty test for that would
> be "strings program.exe | egrep -i 'dlopen|loadlibrary'".  Finding out
> exactly which libraries are loaded with this mechanism won't be as easy
> (because in some cases the DLL name may be constructed dynamically).
> Strace might help with that somewhat, at least for dlopen() calls.

I'm pretty sure the "Dependency Walker" program can trace these dynamic
runtime library loading situations.  http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/