Subject: Re: bug in setup.exe for postgresql-7.3.4-1
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: Max Bowsher <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Seth Rubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 07:35:03 -0400

Max,

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:58:07AM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > Is there any way to solve this problem without me adding a
> > postinstall script that performs a "chmod +rx" on all *.exe and
> > *.dll files installed by this packages?
> 
> Yes. PTC for setup.

Would the following patch or an extension to it help?

    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-04/msg00127.html

> Please please please don't add this kind of postinstall script.

OK, I won't.  However, I've been getting hammered by this problem for
some time.  IIRC, since XP was released.

Unfortunately, the following README blurb doesn't seem to help:

    4. Cygwin PostgreSQL can fail to start or not function properly if
    certain files and directories have incorrect permissions.  The
    following usually solves these kinds of problems:

        $ chmod a+rwx /tmp
        $ chmod a+rx /usr/bin /usr/bin/*

Jason

-- 
PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/