Subject: Re: bug in setup.exe for postgresql-7.3.4-1
From: "Max Bowsher" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jason Tishler" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Seth Rubin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:58:07 +0100

Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:25:43AM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Seth Rubin wrote:
>>> Myself (and Jason) are thinking there's an issue with the cygwin
>>> setup.  Maybe I'm being naive, but all this seems is an issue with
>>> chmod and/or copy not being done properly on the postgres.exe file
>>> during installation.  I don't see where ACL's or ntsec enters into
>>> it.
>> 
>> Here's how:
>> Cygwin setup *doesn't* chmod anything at all.  Hence, the file
>> permissions end up being set by normal Windows inheritance.  Now,
>> interpret that through ntsec, and you end up with mode 700 - on your
>> particular system. Setup does try to help things to turn out right, by
>> setting the group to Users, on the grounds that most systems will
>> grant Users at least Read&Execute, and most users will be in group
>> Users. That apparently doesn't hold true on your setup, hence your
>> problems.
> 
> Is there any way to solve this problem without me adding a postinstall
> script that performs a "chmod +rx" on all *.exe and *.dll files
> installed by this packages?

Yes. PTC for setup.
Please please please don't add this kind of postinstall script.

Max.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/