Subject: Re: apache problems gone with 1.50
From: Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:21:06 +0200

Sam Edge wrote:
> 
> Andrew might want to consider compiling Cygwin-Apache with the native
> Winsock option. This way it still lives in the Cygwin file system
> space so has the POSIX/Linux style configuration files but bypasses
> the Cygwin Berkeley->Winsock socket API translation. Apparently this
> helps.

that's right. Apache for Cygwin with Winsock was definetly faster. But
still Apache for Windows outperforms it's Cygwin counterpart.

> (But I suspect the majority of the performance difference Stipe has
> found is the use of threads in the native Windows version against
> forking child processes in the *X versions which is a more expensive
> operation.)

yep. And of course the general bottleneck of emulating the whole POSIX
system call suite in Win32.

Stipe

[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wapme Systems AG

Vogelsanger Weg 80
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: [email-masked]
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
-------------------------------------------------------------------
wapme.net - wherever you are

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/