Subject: Re: upgrade question
From: Rob Clack <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:06:51 +0100

Thank you for this.  However, I managed to find a disaster in there 
despite everything.  :o(

I renamed the whole e:\cygwin tree to e:\old_cygwin.  I had to rerun the 
install several times, for reasons I need not go into.  Eventually it 
got to the end and said "I found an old cygwin, shall I delete it?"  I 
assumed it meant one from the immediately previous installation, which 
had also completed, but with errors, so innocently pressed "OK". 
Mistake.  It deleted the whole e:\old_cygwin tree, including a load of 
stuff that wasn't actually cygwin at all and was only there for 
historical reasons.

And none of it is recoverable, nor backed up, of course.  Boo hoo.

Rob

Larry Hall wrote:
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> 
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Rob Clack wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> <snip>
> 
> 
>>> Can I just rename my old cygwin directory tree (E:\cygwin) to something
>>> else and install the latest in its place?  I did read somewhere that you
>>> shouldn't have two cygwin1.dlls, hence the question.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Rob
>>
>>
>>
>> Yes, you can.  If you want to be completely safe, rename the old
>> cygwin1.dll to, say, old-cygwin1.dll (I have a few on my system, no
>> problems yet).
> 
> 
> 
> Right.  The issue isn't duplicate DLLs.  The issue is using duplicate
> DLLs.  Just make sure that you're new installation can't see the old and
> that you don't run apps that can find the other DLL.  There can be only
> 1 Cygwin DLL loaded at a time.
> 
> 
> 

-- 
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Trying to think.  Nothing happens.
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Rob Clack                        Acedb Development,  Informatics Group
  email: [email-masked]                Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
  Tel: +44 1223 494780                   Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
  Fax: +44 1223 494919                   Hinxton  Cambridge    CB10 1SA

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/