Subject: PostgeSQL installation
From: "Ralf Berger" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:01:41 +0200

Hello,

on my new XP Professional system I've major problems initializing the
postgresql database with initdb 1.14.

After initdb PostgreSQL as administrator and manually start the postmaster,
a normal user is not able to connect with the database the following message
is issued:

psql: could not connect to server: Bad file descriptor
        Is the server running locally and accepting
        connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

After deleting the content of the directory and running initdb as normal
user the following output is given:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "xyz".
This user must also own the server process.

The database cluster will be initialized with locale DE.
This locale setting will prevent the use of indexes for pattern matching
operations.  If that is a concern, rerun initdb with the collation order
set to "C".  For more information see the Administrator's Guide.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /var/pgsql/data/... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//base... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//global... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /var/pgsql/data//pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /var/pgsql/data//base/1... ok
creating configuration files... ok
initializing pg_shadow... LOG:  FindExec: invalid binary "/usr/bin/postgres"
FATAL:  /usr/bin/postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...

initdb failed.

In the past on my W2k system I've never such problems :-((
Any help will be apreciated.

Regards
	Ralf
____________________________________________________________________________
Nur bei WEB.DE Testsieger FreeMail testen und damit 1 qm Regenwald
schuetzen. Jetzt anmelden und mithelfen! http://user.web.de/Regenwald

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/