Subject: Re: cygwin_logon_user() not working
From: msg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:31:52 -0500

Corinna, thanks much for your reply; please bear with me here
(in case I'm missing something):

> 
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:56:09AM -0500, msg wrote:
> > be owned by the new uid.  The code fails on the call to
> > cygwin_logon_user() which returns -1 (invalid HANDLE). The output
> > of 'strace' on this program shows cygwin_logon_user() extracting
> > the /etc/passwd information followed by a 'windows error 1314' which
> > is 'unknown' and converted to error 13.
> 
> But you did look what error 1314 means, right?
> 

Indeed:
1314 0x0522  A required privilege is not held by the client.

> > We've tried running the program from a bash shell logged-in as
> > user 'root' and again logged-in as user 'Administrator' with no
> > difference (Windows logins, not cygwin 'login' logins).
> 
> So it runs as expected.  Admin accounts don't have the right to call
> LogonUser up to W2K. This would only work on XP and 2003.

Are you saying it won't work regardless of the privilege settings
on Win2k (I presume you mean it won't work unless the needed
privileges are granted)?

> You have
> to add the SeTcpPrivilege to the user who should call LogonUser.  See
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID for the needed
> user privileges (up to W2K).

Yes, I carefully studied both the pdf users' guide and the online
version prior to posting and insured that all of the mentioned
privileges were granted to user 'root' and to user 'Administrator'
including SeTcpPrivilege (Act as part of the operating system).
These were all in place during testing.

We don't have any native Win2k/NT debugging or development tools;
what can we do to troubleshoot this?

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/