Subject: Re: find -exec oddity
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 05:33:01 -0700

Ken Dibble wrote:

> As you can see, there are indeed some directories, but a whole bunch of
> files
> which shouldn't be there as well.
> 
> The big question now is why are some files considered directories?

I don't see the confusion here.  You're feeding to "ls -l" the
parameters "./" , "./files to backup.txt" , and "./idiot.txt" which are
the results of find.  "./" is a directory, so ls prints its contents not
its name, that's why you see listings for all the files in the current
directory, followed by listings for "files to backup.txt" and
"idiot.txt".  When you add "-d" to ls, you get just three lines of
output, corresponding to the three things that find found.  How is this
confusing?

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/