Subject: Re: find -exec oddity
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:02:08 -0700

Ken Dibble wrote:

> I can't make sense of this.
> 
> $ find ./ -mtime -1  -print | wc -l
>     55
>
> $ find ./ -mtime -1  -exec ls -l  '{}' \; | wc -l
>   2046

Try running "find . -mtime -1" (-print is assumed) and look at the
output.  In addition to files, find returns directories that match the
criteria.  Add "-type f" if you only want files.  If you invoke "ls -l"
on a directory it prints the directory's contents rather than printing
its name -- you can supply it with "-d" if you wish for it to list
directory names insted of contents.  I think that's what you are seeing
here.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/