Subject: RE: CygPath to Clipboard (was: example needed pls ...)
From: Soren A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:36:11 +0000 (UTC)

I had written:
> Thus one
> entry I examined looks like this:
>  
> "TEMP"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,0
> 0,74,\  
>   00,25,00,5c,00,54,00,45,00,4d,00,50,00,00,00

Mystery is done. There are two kinds of .REG file: ANSI and Unicode. The
Regedit tool on WinXP exports keys to .REG files as Unicode, naturally. 

Furthermore it is a known thing that the REGEDIT tool included in
Win95/98 is *not capable* of *importing* a key that contains a
REG_EXPAND_SZ datum. It is either a bug or a missing feature, depending
on who you read. 

I downloaded a trial version of Resplendent Registrar
(http://www.resplendence.com) which seems like a kick-a** tool, and made
the needed additions to the Registry using that tool instead of via a
.REG file. For the purposes of Win9x, all that Perl hacking was for
nought. 

Microsoft strikes again.

-- 
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"
                       - Dr. Jumba, Disney's "Lilo & Stitch"
OpenPGP Key at http://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=6050

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/