Subject: Makefile *** missing separator
From: Andrew Jacka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:27:15 +1000

Hi,

I have a question about gnumake under cygwin...
I am getting an error "*** missing separator" compliling using a home-baked 
makefile.   

The following is the segment of the Makfile that is causing the problem.   The 
error refers to the line starting with $(LIB)
----------------------------------------------------
$(LIB): $(LIB)($(OBJS)) $(OBJS)
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(LDLIBS) $^
----------------------------------------------------
The segment above is part of a top-level makefile that defines a set of 
standard make targets.   The problem only arises when $(LIB) is not defined 
in the makefile that includes the top level one.

This exact makefile setup works fine on Linux, BSD and Solaris.   Just not 
Cygwin.

I have checked the usual suspects... (ie There is a tab before the $(CC) line 
and there are no CR/LF issues.

Cheers

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/