Subject: Re: CygPath to Clipboard (was: example needed pls ...)
From: "Soren A." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 07:07:48 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, a bit OT, but could be useful to understand more about it...

Soren A <[email-masked]> wrote in news:[email-masked]:
> I cannot get the Registry to accept the entries now! Each time I try I
> get the keys created OK, but the "command" is undefined (I am writing
> of how we see the Registry in "regedit"). 

Still no joy. On a WinXP system (the other I refer to is Win98) I used
the regedit tool to look at some REG_EXPAND_SZ entries already in the
Registry, and exported a key for examination. What I discover if I do
this seems *BIZARRE* (but we are talking about Microsoft here so nothing
ought to surprise us). I see the string of hex bytes exported as we have
been discussing, but each one _is followed by a null byte_. Thus one
entry I examined looks like this:

  "TEMP"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\  
  00,25,00,5c,00,54,00,45,00,4d,00,50,00,00,00

Do you see what I mean? "25,00,53,00,79,00: ... . If *that's* the format
RegEdit expects (and it could have changed between 98 and XP, anyone know?)
then it would certainly explain why I haven't been able to get any
subsequent tries to work.

Even the terminating null is followed by a null.

Now I am scratching my head so hard my hairline is imperiled...

   Soren A.

-- 
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"
                       - Dr. Jumba, Disney's "Lilo & Stitch"
OpenPGP Key at http://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=6050

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/