Subject: Deeply unattractive naming convention
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:52:04 +0100

Well I actually think I'm almost there with a portable CD version that can
be plugged in to any Windows machine without regard to privileges (as long
as the machine is switched on: one might need privileges to achieve that).
Made yet another CD tonight for testing around the workplace tomorrow.

It necessarily involves starting off "unknown". In the course of trying to
work my way round this I became finally aware of something that's been
nagging me in the background for ages: specifically (and nastily) that the
default name for an otherwise unspecified group is "mkpasswd", as in

~> id
uid=400(unknown) gid=401(mkpasswd) groups=401(mkpasswd)

or

~> ls -al
drwxr-xr-x    7 unknown  mkpasswd     2048 Jul  3 18:51 ./
drwxr-xr-x    3 unknown  mkpasswd     2048 Jul  3 18:51 ../
-r--r--r--    1 unknown  mkpasswd      509 Jul  3 21:00 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x    2 unknown  mkpasswd     2048 Jul  3 18:51 bin/

It seems a strangely arbitrary and inappropriate choice to me. If this is a
Unix inheritance then I suppose it's best not to fiddle, but is it something
that could be altered? (Is it, in fact, a minor error?)

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/