Subject: Re: example needed pls: `cygpath -c <HANDLE>'
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:12:18 -0700

Soren A wrote:

> OK, "what's UP with this bizarre thing?" It is a REG_EXPAND_SZ -type
> REGEDIT .reg file instead of using easy REG_SZ -type entries. The
> expansion encoded is of a variable %CYGROOT% which must be present
> in the Windows "master" environment, so that the Registry
> _always_ has access to it. I set it in my Windows9x autoexec.bat
> file of course, and under NT/2K/XP you can use the ControlPanel|System.

I was wondering why I didn't have any CYGROOT set.  I agree that
REG_EXPAND_SZ is "nicer" in terms of not hard-coding paths, but since
$CYGROOT is non-standard I don't see that it matters too much.

There's a couple of problems with it still, in the backspaces/quotes
department.  Your .reg file installs the command:

"%CYGROOT%\\bin\\bash -c \"echo -n `/bin/cygpath -u
'%l'`>/dev/clipboard\"" + NewLine

When I run the command I get an error.  The proper quoting is

"%CYGROOT%\bin\bash" -c "echo -n `/bin/cygpath -u '%l'`>/dev/clipboard"

You don't want to escape the double-quotes because they are there to
tell the windows shell to make all that stuff a single arg, after -c. 
You need double quotes around the exe image in the off chance there's a
space in $CYGROOT.  And there's the issue of the raw binary newline at
the end.  The hexified version of that is
hex(2):22,25,43,59,47,52,4f,4f,54,25,5c,62,69,6e,5c,62,61,73,68,22,20,2d,63,20,22,65,63,68,6f,20,2d,6e,20,60,2f,62,69,6e,2f,63,79,67,70,61,74,68,20,2d,75,20,27,25,6c,27,60,3e,2f,64,65,76,2f,63,6c,69,70,62,6f,61,72,64,22,00

----

Anyway, the Right Way (IMHO) to do this would be something like the
following:

----- copy_cygpath.c -----
#include <sys/cygwin.h>
#include <windows.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    HGLOBAL hglbBuffer;
    LPTSTR  lptstrBuffer;

    if(argc != 2) {

        // usage: copy_cygpath [win32 path]
        return 1;
    }

    hglbBuffer = GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE, (MAX_PATH +
1)*sizeof(TCHAR));
    if (hglbBuffer == NULL) {
        return 1;
    }

    lptstrBuffer = GlobalLock(hglbBuffer);
    cygwin_conv_to_full_posix_path(argv[1], lptstrBuffer);
    GlobalUnlock(hglbBuffer);

    if(OpenClipboard(NULL) == 0) {
        // failure!

        GlobalFree(hglbBuffer);
        return 1;
    }

    EmptyClipboard();
    SetClipboardData(CF_TEXT, hglbBuffer);
    CloseClipboard();

    return 0;
}
------

$ gcc copy_cygpath.c -o copy_cygpath.exe -mwindows -luser32
$ mv copy_cygpath.exe /bin

Now your registry entry is just: 

"%CYGROOT%\bin\copy_cygpath.exe" "%1"

or

------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CygPath]
@="&Copy LFN Cygwin Path"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CygPathLFN\Command]
@=hex(2):22,25,43,59,47,52,4f,4f,54,25,5c,62,69,6e,5c,63,6f,70,79,5f,63,79,67,70,61,74,68,2e,65,78,65,22,20,22,25,31,22,00
------

This has the advantage of loading a single process, rather than bash,
echo, and cygpath.  You also eliminate the silly console window that
flashes open and then closes.

One might also want to change the C code to backslash escape spaces and
other non-[\w\d] characters.  That way you could still work with the
long filenames at the command prompt.  Alternatively you could have it
paste the path as '/path/with a/space' (with the quotes.)

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/