Subject: Re: example needed pls: `cygpath -c <HANDLE>'
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 05:31:51 -0700

Soren Andersen wrote:

> In short although I see what you are doing, I think it's too simple for
> many cases and its lack of robustness makes it only marginally useful to
> me (IMHO). If you could post some typical examples of how you use it, to
> refute me, I'd be pleased.

Yes, it's quite dumb code.  It doesn't even work correctly if one of the
files doesn't exist.  However it works perfectly for what I originally
devised it for, which is using Windows editors from cygwin, as in I have
the line

alias ue="dodos /path/to/uedit32.exe $@"

in .profile, and so I can issue commands like "ue /etc/hosts*" or "ue
~/project/foo*.c" to edit files with UltraEdit as if it was a
cygwin-aware application.  Surely it will choke on arguments and almost
anything else except globs referring to existing files.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/