Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: CygWin adding CRs, hurting CVS client/server communications?
From: [email-masked]
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Van Rooyen G-J <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:58:01 -0600

Well, I take that back...someone pointed me to 
http://www.gigascale.org/softdevel/faq/23.html, which contains instructions 
for reinstalling CygWin with text mode set to DOS, which actually fixes the 
problem (the remount procedure didn't work, as is warned in the 
article).  All I did was run the setup utility, selected DOS text mode, and 
selected the base/cygwin and devel/cvs packages for reinstallation...works 
like a charm now.  The contents of this article might be good fodder for 
the FAQs.  Cheers!

At 08:17 AM 6/30/2003, [email-masked] wrote:
>Understood.  I've compiled CVS from source on my server (which is how I 
>tracked down and confirmed the CRLF issue), but am not set up to compile 
>anything on the Windows client.  I doubt I'll have time in the near future 
>to try, so for now I'll have to ditch CVS/SSH, and once I truly need 
>version control again, either see if it's working again or go with a 
>commercial solution.  No big deal for now...thanks for trying though.
>
>Toscani
>
>At 01:55 PM 6/28/2003, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>Sorry, guys, but I can't reproduce this.
>>
>>Client:
>>
>>openssh              3.6.1p1-2
>>cvs                  1.11.5-1
>>cygwin               1.3.22-1
>>
>>:pserver: and :ext:(CVS_RSH=ssh) mode, with server sources.redhat.com
>>
>>Server is running:
>>Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1 (client/server)
>>(with local hacks)
>>OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f
>>
>>-----
>>Because I can't reproduce this, somebody who is experiencing the problem 
>>is going to have to track it down and provide a detailed (e.g. "this code 
>>right here: "..." is wrong...) bug analysis.
>>
>>I can't fix what I can't see.
>>
>>--Chuck
>>cvs maintainer
>>
>>[email-masked] wrote:
>>>Forgot to CC this to the list.
>>>
>>>>Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:37:51 -0600
>>>>To: "Van Rooyen G-J <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
>>>>From: [email-masked]
>>>>Subject: Re: CygWin adding CRs, hurting CVS client/server communications?
>>>>
>>>>I've seen the same symptoms...output is garbled because CRs are left in 
>>>>the strings CVS interprets, and it spits them out after concatenating 
>>>>them...so you wind up with lines like "textCRtextNL"...I've dumped the 
>>>>output and confirmed that this is what is happening.
>>>>
>>>>Another good point...I am using the CygWin CVS client, not WinCVS.
>>>>
>>>>Toscani
>>>>
>>>>At 06:49 AM 6/28/2003, you wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>I have exactly the same problem as Toscani describes. Last week I did 
>>>>>a routine update on my Cygwin packages, and my Cygwin CVS client 
>>>>>(which worked fine the previous day) could not authenticate with the 
>>>>>server any more. The "login" command works fine, but any subsequent 
>>>>>operations fail to authenticate. Furthermore, the server error message 
>>>>>is garbled, as if a CR/LF problem occurred.
>>>>>
>>>>>Client: Cygwin on WinXP
>>>>>
>>>>>Server: Redhat (not sure of the version)
>>>>>
>>>>>Authentication: Plain pserver, no SSH.
>>>>>
>>>>>Judging from Patrick's response (who uses WinCVS, and not Cygwin CVS) 
>>>>>the problem lies somewhere in the Cygwin CVS client, not in Cygwin SSH.
>>>>>
>>>>>G-J
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>--- in response to: ---
>>>>>
>>>>>Works like a charm here, both for binmode and textmode mounts.
>>>>>My system: Win2k, WinCVS and Cygwin SSH
>>>>>The problem mentioned in your mailing list reference was fixed long 
>>>>>time ago.
>>>>>Do your line endings change as well if you scp a textfile from your 
>>>>>client to your server? If yes, then we have indeed an ssh issue on 
>>>>>WinXP platforms. Otherwise your problem must lie somewhere else.
>>>>>
>>>>>Patrick
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>--- in response to: ---
>>>>>
>>>>>Hey folx...currently using OpenSSH under CygWin on an XP box to 
>>>>>communicate with a CVS server on a Linux box. Recently upgraded my 
>>>>>CygWin installation (1.3.22(0.78/3/2), including OpenSSH to v3.6.1p1 
>>>>>(the latest available under CygWin), and now CVS client/server 
>>>>>communications over SSH (CVS_RSH=ssh) don't work.
>>>>>I've tracked the problem deep enough to suspect that SOMETHING in 
>>>>>CygWin converts LF to CR+LF line terminators across SSH. This pretty 
>>>>>much hoses CVS client/server communications, as the CVS server 
>>>>>interprets all incoming lines as byte strings including a CR at the 
>>>>>end (it treats LF as the actual terminator)...especially bad for 
>>>>>pathname interpretation, but lots of other things may be affected as 
>>>>>well. I've tried altering the CVS server code to eat the extra CRs, 
>>>>>but too many other things break (including file data exchange I'd 
>>>>>bet...can't tell which CRs are valid data and which are inserted by 
>>>>>the system) for that to be effective.
>>>>>Found a reference in the mailing list archives to a similar problem 
>>>>>someone was having last October, but the solution was to install a 
>>>>>snapshot from that time period which seems to be no longer available. 
>>>>>I'm wondering if the fix for this issue never found its way into more 
>>>>>recent versions of the CygWin system components? I've upgraded CVS on 
>>>>>both client and server, but based on my testing, I don't think CVS 
>>>>>itself is adding the CRs...please flame if I'm wrong on that one. <g> 
>>>>>Not sure what else to do right now but do without version control for 
>>>>>a bit...any better ideas?
>>>>>- Toscani
>>
>
>
>--
>Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/