Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: CygWin adding CRs, hurting CVS client/server communications?
From: [email-masked]
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:17:37 -0600

Understood.  I've compiled CVS from source on my server (which is how I 
tracked down and confirmed the CRLF issue), but am not set up to compile 
anything on the Windows client.  I doubt I'll have time in the near future 
to try, so for now I'll have to ditch CVS/SSH, and once I truly need 
version control again, either see if it's working again or go with a 
commercial solution.  No big deal for now...thanks for trying though.

Toscani

At 01:55 PM 6/28/2003, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Sorry, guys, but I can't reproduce this.
>
>Client:
>
>openssh              3.6.1p1-2
>cvs                  1.11.5-1
>cygwin               1.3.22-1
>
>:pserver: and :ext:(CVS_RSH=ssh) mode, with server sources.redhat.com
>
>Server is running:
>Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1 (client/server)
>(with local hacks)
>OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f
>
>-----
>Because I can't reproduce this, somebody who is experiencing the problem 
>is going to have to track it down and provide a detailed (e.g. "this code 
>right here: "..." is wrong...) bug analysis.
>
>I can't fix what I can't see.
>
>--Chuck
>cvs maintainer
>
>[email-masked] wrote:
>>Forgot to CC this to the list.
>>
>>>Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:37:51 -0600
>>>To: "Van Rooyen G-J <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
>>>From: [email-masked]
>>>Subject: Re: CygWin adding CRs, hurting CVS client/server communications?
>>>
>>>I've seen the same symptoms...output is garbled because CRs are left in 
>>>the strings CVS interprets, and it spits them out after concatenating 
>>>them...so you wind up with lines like "textCRtextNL"...I've dumped the 
>>>output and confirmed that this is what is happening.
>>>
>>>Another good point...I am using the CygWin CVS client, not WinCVS.
>>>
>>>Toscani
>>>
>>>At 06:49 AM 6/28/2003, you wrote:
>>>
>>>>I have exactly the same problem as Toscani describes. Last week I did a 
>>>>routine update on my Cygwin packages, and my Cygwin CVS client (which 
>>>>worked fine the previous day) could not authenticate with the server 
>>>>any more. The "login" command works fine, but any subsequent operations 
>>>>fail to authenticate. Furthermore, the server error message is garbled, 
>>>>as if a CR/LF problem occurred.
>>>>
>>>>Client: Cygwin on WinXP
>>>>
>>>>Server: Redhat (not sure of the version)
>>>>
>>>>Authentication: Plain pserver, no SSH.
>>>>
>>>>Judging from Patrick's response (who uses WinCVS, and not Cygwin CVS) 
>>>>the problem lies somewhere in the Cygwin CVS client, not in Cygwin SSH.
>>>>
>>>>G-J
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>--- in response to: ---
>>>>
>>>>Works like a charm here, both for binmode and textmode mounts.
>>>>My system: Win2k, WinCVS and Cygwin SSH
>>>>The problem mentioned in your mailing list reference was fixed long 
>>>>time ago.
>>>>Do your line endings change as well if you scp a textfile from your 
>>>>client to your server? If yes, then we have indeed an ssh issue on 
>>>>WinXP platforms. Otherwise your problem must lie somewhere else.
>>>>
>>>>Patrick
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>--- in response to: ---
>>>>
>>>>Hey folx...currently using OpenSSH under CygWin on an XP box to 
>>>>communicate with a CVS server on a Linux box. Recently upgraded my 
>>>>CygWin installation (1.3.22(0.78/3/2), including OpenSSH to v3.6.1p1 
>>>>(the latest available under CygWin), and now CVS client/server 
>>>>communications over SSH (CVS_RSH=ssh) don't work.
>>>>I've tracked the problem deep enough to suspect that SOMETHING in 
>>>>CygWin converts LF to CR+LF line terminators across SSH. This pretty 
>>>>much hoses CVS client/server communications, as the CVS server 
>>>>interprets all incoming lines as byte strings including a CR at the end 
>>>>(it treats LF as the actual terminator)...especially bad for pathname 
>>>>interpretation, but lots of other things may be affected as well. I've 
>>>>tried altering the CVS server code to eat the extra CRs, but too many 
>>>>other things break (including file data exchange I'd bet...can't tell 
>>>>which CRs are valid data and which are inserted by the system) for that 
>>>>to be effective.
>>>>Found a reference in the mailing list archives to a similar problem 
>>>>someone was having last October, but the solution was to install a 
>>>>snapshot from that time period which seems to be no longer available. 
>>>>I'm wondering if the fix for this issue never found its way into more 
>>>>recent versions of the CygWin system components? I've upgraded CVS on 
>>>>both client and server, but based on my testing, I don't think CVS 
>>>>itself is adding the CRs...please flame if I'm wrong on that one. <g> 
>>>>Not sure what else to do right now but do without version control for a 
>>>>bit...any better ideas?
>>>>- Toscani
>>
>
>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/