Subject: Re: Mail to cygwin generating subscription requests
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:15:08 +0200

Hallo Igor,

>>> We have received your request to join the kde-nl
>>> group hosted by Yahoo! Groups, a free, easy-to-use community service.

[...]

> FWIW, I'm not getting these, but in theory, all it takes is one of those
> administrative addresses being subscribed to <cygwin at cygwin dot com>...
> Perhaps the subscriber list should be combed for those (don't know how
> easy or hard it is to do this, though).

The problem is this new virus, it sends out itself with various sender
addresses to every email address it finds.  Some of them come back to
me: 

"Antigen for Exchange found your_details.zip->details.pif infected
with VIRUS= W32/Sobig-E (Sophos,Norman) worm. 
The message is currently Purged.  The message, "Re: Application", was
sent from gh at familiehaase dot de and was discovered in SMTP Messages\Inbound
located at Texas Christian University/TCU/EXFRONT2."

Note that I never use this address and also I'm not infected with this
virus.  I got also this one today:

=====
From: <cgf at cygnus dot com>
To: <gerrit.haase at t-online dot de>
Subject: Re: Movie
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 8:09:12 +0200
Importance: Normal

Please see the attached zip file for details.

=====

Though, I don't believe that cgf uses Outlook Express;)

I'm getting hundreds of them!  Sent by <cgf at cygnus>  or even by
you!  I'm also getting those info mails from mailing lists because the
virus found this subscription address and mine on one box it is
running on and sent a mail to the subscription address with me as the
sender, so the listserver thinks I want to subscribe and tells me how
to get help and so on.

It is annoying...
Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/