Subject: Re: colons with rsync
From: Ben Smith <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Jun 2003 12:46:39 -0500

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Windows filenames cannot contain ':', so there is no way around this
> limitation in Cygwin, since it uses Windows filenames.

Igor,

So does this mean that Cygwin doesn't do any file munging?  Is this
something that applications are normally left to deal with?

I found this post that mentions how samba deals with similar problems:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg05701.html

I know that cygwin can't just write a file called c:\foo:bar.txt but
shouldn't there be some sort of translation to be able to deal with this
situation, or is it contrary to the design philosophy of cygwin in some
way?

-Ben
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/