Subject: Re: Path Seperator
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:55:22 -0400

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 07:32:01AM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Yes, but a program that was built to use Win32 would have a ';' in it's 
>path, even if it is run under Cygwin.

If you are using normal 'gcc' (without the -mno-cygwin option) to build
your program, you can't reliably check the environment via any method to
determine if you are "running under cygwin" or not.  If you are using a
-mno-cygwin compiled program then you should never see colons in the
path.

You can't reliably use the PATH environment variable to determine
anything about how a program was started.

>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>-- You know, I didn't set a Reply-To so that when you did a Reply-All
>I would get the mail personally so that I could just reply to the mail.
>-- If you're going to remove all distribution components when
>responding, you might as well make the list forwarder set the Reply-To
>to the list, not that I'm in favor of it.  -- I would appreciate that
>the email distribution remain intact.  --
>------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cygwin mailing list policy is that discussion stays on the list.
cc's are discouraged.  The mailing list software adds a
"Mail-Followup-To" field to the header automatically.

I've been using the 'list-reply' feature of mutt for many years and
adding a Reply-To automatically since that is *my* preference, as well
as the preference of many others here.  There was no "distribution
component" to your email.  You are not guaranteed a personal response to
a public mailing list message.

I've added you to the cc line for this message.  I'm not going to be
cc'ing everyone who sends email here, however.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to [email-masked]
and be permanently blocked from mailing lists at sources.redhat.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/