Subject: Cygwin rsh/socket bug?
From: Joe Buehler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:38:35 -0400

> I cannot figure out how to get the job to detach -- the rsh always waits
> for the job to finish, which is not what I want.  I just want to fire up
> a command on a remote machine and forget about it.

E.g., the following hangs:

   rsh cygwin-machine 'some_command </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &'

(If I got something slightly wrong there, keep in mind that it's an
example so you can see what I mean -- I am actually using a script that I
have used for years on UNIX machines.)

I got this to work properly by wrapping the remote command with a PERL script
that invokes shutdown() on STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR and then close().

I assume this is some kind of bug in Cygwin or in.rshd -- all I have to
do on UNIX machines is close() on the same descriptors and the rsh client
disconnects as desired.
-- 
Joe Buehler

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/