Subject: Re: Should PERLIO=no_crlf be the default on Cygwin?
From: "Max Bowsher" <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:47:21 +0100

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo Max,
>
>>>> Since Cygwin runs on Windows and Windows is a DOS system the PERLIO
>>>> layer crlf is default.
>
>> Ugh. Some of use Cygwin to *escape* Windows!
>
>> Is there any way to tell perlio "just let the system (i.e. cygwin) handle
>> things"?
>> That would be a nice default.
>
> I need to patch the sources to do this, but it is no major problem,
> I'm already testing with the patched version and it seems to be the
> best solution to make no_crlf the default for Cygwin, it is also no
> problem then to pull it in everytime it is needed with PERLIO=crlf.
>
> This will save me a lot of trouble responding to the questions why
> Perl writes CRLF by default and that it breaks scripts.  I guess to
> support the other five guys who want Perl to actually write CRLF's
> will be easier;)

I know very little about perlio, but wouldn't defaulting to stdio cause Perl
to obey Cygwin mount modes?

Max.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/