Subject: Should PERLIO=no_crlf be the default on Cygwin?
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
To: "Max Bowsher" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:19:48 +0200

Hallo Max,

>>> Since Cygwin runs on Windows and Windows is a DOS system the PERLIO
>>> layer crlf is default.

> Ugh. Some of use Cygwin to *escape* Windows!

> Is there any way to tell perlio "just let the system (i.e. cygwin) handle
> things"?
> That would be a nice default.

I need to patch the sources to do this, but it is no major problem,
I'm already testing with the patched version and it seems to be the
best solution to make no_crlf the default for Cygwin, it is also no
problem then to pull it in everytime it is needed with PERLIO=crlf.

This will save me a lot of trouble responding to the questions why
Perl writes CRLF by default and that it breaks scripts.  I guess to
support the other five guys who want Perl to actually write CRLF's
will be easier;)

Comments?

I'll upload an updated release soon if there are no objections.

Gerrit
-- 
=^..^=

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/