Subject: Re: behaviour of "for (( exp1; exp2; exp3 )); do COMMANDS; done"
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 15:16:39 +0100

Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]> wrote in
<[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Wed, 28 May 2003 06:30:47 -0700:

> The interpretation of #! lines is in the kernel (or, hereabout, 
> Cygwin1.dll, a kernel by any other name), just as the kernel would how 
> to handle a binary executable by examining its header.

* man execve *

Well, well. I knew that some unices had to be doing this because they
allowed suid scripts. But I thought the behaviour had been phased out
of newer versions. (Because Linux and the like don't allow suid
scripts, I assumed that this whole script-handling behaviour had been
moved out of the kernel.)

I learn something new every day. Thanks. :-)

Regards,
-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/