Subject: Re: Windows NT installation 1.3.22-1
From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 06:55:03 -0700

Panos,

This question probably belongs on the general Cygwin list, no on 
Cygwin-XFree. I've added that list to this reply's distribution. 
Further follow-ups and replies should go there only.

I believe you're expecting a CSH-equivalent shell (tcsh, e.g.). That 
shell is available under Cygwin, if you install it, but it is not the 
default interactive shell. That role is filled by BASH.

You can modify or replace the BAT file or shortcut you use to start a 
Cygwin shell to use the shell of your choice. If eventually you set up 
remote logins using SSH, you'll have to modify the password file to 
override the default shell recorded there, which again will be "/bin/bash".

Cygwin makes available the following interactive shells via its 
Setup.exe installer:

ash
bash
ksh (pdksh)
sh (actually a synonym for ash -- beware when writing scripts using #!/bin/sh)
tcsh
zsh

Good luck.

Randall Schulz

At 02:51 2003-05-28, Panos Stavroulis wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>     I've just installed ver 1.3.22-1. I can't do the "foreach" command
>from the prompt and don't need to write a script. Is something wrong with my
>installation or I am doing something wrong. Sorry if my question is too
>simplistic.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Panos

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/