Subject: Re: C-M combination in cygwin + rxvt + bash + emacs
From: Joe Buehler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:26:12 -0400

Adam Griffiths wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Joe, if I run emacs (with the -nw switch) in an xterm
> it work as expected, running emacs as an X11 program is incredibly slow on
> my machine using Xfree86 or Vista Exceed as x servers. In fact it's so slow
> that after 5 minuets I gave up waiting for the screen to display.

There's something wrong there, it shouldn't be that slow.  Make sure you
are running the latest Cygwin emacs.  The earlier versions loaded various
startup LISP files while you waited.  Later versions have all that preloaded
in the executable.

> Xfree86 is slower than Exceed, both seem to double in speed when I disable
> Norton Antivirus (2003) but are still quite slow. Starting an Xterm with

We have Norton diabled on our NT build machines at work -- it makes builds take
twice as long.  Intel must love it.
-- 
Joe Buehler

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/