Subject: Re: Re: docbook xml toolchain
From: Patrick Eisenacher <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:51:49 +0200

Hi Joshua,

what did those packages contain? I tried looking at them here:
http://ns1.iocc.com/~joshua/cygwin/docbook/ with my browser but was
denied permission to do so. I guess, we're talking about more than
stylesheets and dtds. What stylesheet engine and processor do you use 
for html and pdf generation? Since your docs are sgml, it can't be 
xsltproc. Is it Jade/OpenJade and JadeTex (I read something about tetex 
in your cygwin-doc-X.X-X.README)?

I'm not familiar with sgml, so I stayed out of the various cygwin doc 
threads. Since it would be nice to be able to build the cygwin docs with 
tools available via the cygwin packages, have you ever considered 
converting the sgml sources to xml? I don't know about the complexity of 
this task though, but perhaps that's easier than maintaining the 
orphaned docbook sgml package. And you get the various output formats, 
eg one big html file vs chunked html files, merely by using different 
stylesheets. Even stylesheets for website, slide and manpage generation 
are available for docbook xml. Popular opinion nowadays recommends using 
docbook xml if you start from scratch (which cygwin doesn't).

Let me know, what you think.

Cheers,
Patrick

> Patrick,
> 
> Thanks for the interesting DocBook information, this might help me with
> the User's Guide as well.
> 
> For future reference, I kept copies of the old proposed DocBook packages 
> (which were apparently abandoned by their prospective maintainer) and use
> them to build the cygwin documentation from CVS. The details are in 
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/cygwin-doc-X.X-X.README, and they work for my purposes
> even though they are quite dated by now. 
> 
> If anyone who is familiar with DocBook would be willing to contribute
> and maintain newer packages, that would be great. Just follow the
> guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/setup.html> and subscribe to the cygwin-apps
> mailing list. 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/