Subject: RE: docbook xml toolchain
From: "Andreas" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Patrick Eisenacher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:46:56 -0300

Hello Patrick,

> Andreas,
>
> the rejects you attached state that the pdfxmltex format didn't make it
> to fmtutil.cnf. This is exactly the error you get trying to create pdf
> output from your xml source.
>
> Ok, patch files are pretty easy to read. Do
>
> man patch
> man diff
>
> to get info about them and the various formats. In short, a patch file
> contains one or more patches. Each patch contains the line number and
> length of the original version (-) and line number and length of the
> patched version (+). This info is given in the line starting with @@.
> The lines that follow are to be removed from the original (-) or added
> to the original (+). Lines without a -/+ identifier are sheer context
> information for readability purposes.
>
> With this information at hand, you should be able to identify the proper
> places in your version of fmtutil.cnf to patch by hand.

Hmmm, sounds good, I guess /bin/fmtutil needs to be patched, right? There
are other files related to fmtutil.cnf:
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.cygwin-dist
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.cygwin-orig
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.orig

Let´s assume that I found the lines that needs a fix and put this in
DocbookCygwinFmtutil.diff, does a simple
patch -N -u /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf DocbookCygwinFmtutil.diff
would be sufficient or should I rerun your script (further dependencies in
the process of buliding the passivetex stuff?)?
Would a second, third,... run of your install script potentially break
things that were created at the first run?

> The .fo file you see is the intermediate format for pdf creation. It is
> created by the default stylesheet processor (xsltproc for me). pdfxmltex
>   takes this file as input for creating your pdf via tex.
>
> There are other free fo processors out there that don't use tex for pdf
> generation, eg fop. But all those free processors have limitations and
> shortcomings. A problem they all have in common is the processing of
> tables. And don't expect any fancy layout out of the box.

I just converted the fo file into pdf using fop and it is nicely formatted.

Thanks,
Andreas

> HTH,
> Patrick

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/