Subject: Re: cygwin.bat
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 04:15:05 +0100

cgf wrote in <[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Sat, 10 May 2003 22:18:35 -0400:

> >> >If you use cygwin.bat, then under Windows NT/2k/XP you first have a
> >> >CMD.EXE process created and then a bash.exe. The CMD.EXE sits around
> >> >doing nothing until the bash.exe process exits.
> >> > [snip]

> >Negligible on a modern PC. Noticeable on some of the kit I've got
> >here. ;-)

> I *really* find that hard to believe.  I've run cygwin on some pretty
> slow computers and I've never noticed a slowdown from running bash
> in a command shell.  Even Windows should be smart enough to know that
> it can swap out most of command.com when bash.exe is running so I
> don't know how this could be a resource thing.

Oh yes. I've already said that the general system slow down due to one
extra waiting process isn't going to be noticeable. (Although just
because a process is swapped out doesn't mean it ceases consuming
resources, especially on Windows!)

But the overhead in /launching/ an extra CMD.EXE to process the ".BAT"
file that then starts up bash.exe can be noticed on old kit under NT.

I suspect that on Win9x the difference is much smaller because,
whether I start bash.exe directly or via cygwin.bat, a WINOA386.MOD
process is always created as well as a BASH.EXE.

-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/