Subject: Re: cygipc (and PostgreSQL) XP problem resolved!
From: Robert Collins <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 11 May 2003 10:16:40 +1000

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 03:36, Charles Wilson wrote:

> > But, be advised that I'm in the process of changing the inode field to
> > a long long so I'm not sure that we wouldn't be just pushing this off
> > a little further.
> 
> Urk.  That's right -- but unless there is another primitive type that is 
> bigger than 64 bits, then we're out of luck, and will have to accept 
> aliasing of some sort.

A lookaside table will do it. We can do that in 64 bits easily.
In 32 bits we'd only have 8 bits for unique inodes - no more than 256
keys on a volume. With 64 bit key_t's, we get up to 40 bits to lookup in
the lookaside table - no worries :}. ftok() will have to become a
cygdaemon wrapped function though - which IIRC it isn't today.

So Chris: go ahead, but tell the cygwin ftok() maintainer when you do
this.  Oh, wait we don't have one just now. Sigh. I'll *try* to find
time.

Rob
-- 
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.