Subject: Re: Portable Cygwin on a CD
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:38:49 +0100

Earlier I said I was a bit nervy about automating too much of this. But I
think the following bat-file "cygmin.bat" works well to record any existing
mount points on the host machine, start up a portable process, and then
recover the host mount points after the portable process is closed.

     %1\bin\mount -m | %1\bin\sed s/mount/"%1\\/bin\\/mount"/ > %2
     %1\bin\umount -A
     %1\bin\mount -bfu %1/ /
     %1\bin\rxvt -e /bin/bash --login -i
     %1\bin\umount -A
     %1\bin\bash %2

The whole thing can be driven by [say]

     Start -> Run -> cygmin e: c:\tmp\mount.log

or

     Start -> Run -> cygmin g: a:\mnt.sh

or whatever: %1 is the host CD driveletter and %2 is the name and location
of the temporary file where you save the host mount points for later
recovery.

Fergus

PS. I guess it would be neater to name it cygmin.sh and run it as [something
like]

    Start -> Run -> e:\bin\bash cygmin.sh e: c:/tmp/mount.log

but I don't quite know how %1 %2 works in a shell script; probably some \
would need to be / and v-v.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/