Subject: Re: Portable Cygwin on a CD
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 15:32:27 +0100

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak <[email-masked]> wrote in
<[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Mon, 5 May 2003 14:26:12 +0200 (CEST):

> I'm thinking "autorun".. don't know why (yet)..

Nice idea.

> > The whole shebang is initiated by simply putting the CD into any Windows
> > machine and "Run"ing the command
> This is where I start thinking "autorun"
> Would it be possible (my guess is that it certainly would) to make an 
> autorun.ini file that runs a simple Windows program (compiled, say, with 
> the -mno-cygwin option) that
> a. looks which drive it is on (in argv[0])
> b. runs mount
> c. runs rxvt

This sounds eminently plausible. (Autorun.inf, by the way, not
autorun.ini.) It should probably set CYGWIN and add x:\cygwin\bin to
PATH in the environment passed to mount and rxvt and should detect and
warn about any existing Cygwin mount tables before overwriting. (A
tool or command line switch to use umount.exe to remove all the mount
settings it has generated would also be good.)

> >     mount: /: permission denied
> I *think* that is a question of the permissions you have in the registry - 
> you'll need to use user mounts to take care of that (WAG)

For this application, it'd probably be best to put the whole mount
table in HKEY_CURRENT_USER e.g. to use the "--user" mount.exe switch.
That should prevent any permission problems.

-- 
Sam Edge

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/