Subject: Re: Portable Cygwin on a CD
From: Robert Citek <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 07:42:07 -0500

Hello Fergus,

At 11:13 AM 5/5/2003 +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
>I've a requirement, or at least, a desire,  to run a Cygwin application
>whilst sitting at other people's Windows machines, without formally
>installing Cygwin on those machines.

I was just thinking about something similar last night while putting PuTTY
and FreeDOS on a USB stick: why not put cygwin on the stick?

>The only not entirely simple aspect of the thing is, or seems to be, the
>requirement to type the command
>
>    mount -f "l:/" "/"
>
>at some point after starting up. I've tried any number of ways of automating
>this to take place early in /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile (mount -f
>"$HOMEDRIVE" "/" or whatever, but HOMEDRIVE isn't known until it's mounted
>...). The requirement for this line is basically that Cygwin needs to be
>told the drive letter of the CD drive. (Or, if Cygwin doesn't, then system()
>calls from within the application certainly do.)

A couple of thoughts without testing:
 1 - create a Windows batch file to set your environment before calling bash
 2 - don't use a login shell

I'll experiment on this end and share my notes if I discover anything
interesting.

>(Quick thought: if I put everything under l:\Cygwin rather than l:\, would
>that make a difference at all?)

Don't know, but don't see why that would make a difference.

Regards,
- Robert

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/