Subject: Re: procps and top output
From: Joe Buehler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:00:33 -0400

Chris January wrote:

>>It's the output of "top", and yes, I see the problem too. The "size"
>>column is always around 400 (+/-) MB, however large or small the process.
>>
>>The RSS size is correct - it matches the resident set size in the
>>Windows task manager process display. It's only the "size" (== "VM size"
>>in task manager?) that seems to be off.
> 
> I noticed this when I was porting procps but I never had time to investigate
> exactly why this is so. It might be because VM size also includes DLLs and
> file mappings.

I just noticed something that might be related to this (old) post.  Cygwin
reserves 400 MB of virtual memory, I assume for the heap.  It commits only
a little.  So the large sizes shown by (e.g.) "top" are probably because
they are memory that is "reserved", while memory that is "committed" is
probably what is really wanted.
-- 
Joe Buehler

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/