Subject: Re: sshd and other daemons
From: "Pierre A. Humblet" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:43:31 -0400

David T-G wrote:

>% machine (probably the one who's logged in).  You will also need to add a

>How does one make a program run as a particular user?  Hmmm...

On Win9X, you can create as many users as you want in /etc/passwd, 
e.g. with "mkpasswd -u new_user >> /etc/passwd" or by direct editing.
Passwords need to be added manually, as indicated by Igor.

When logging from the network, you run as the user you specified,
starting in his/her home directory (from /etc/passwd).

When starting locally, you run as the default user (uid 500)
if you have not logged in into Windows, or if you have logged in
under a name that is not in /etc/passwd. Else you run under the
Windows username and the matching uid from /etc/passwd.

You can use "su" to switch users.

Pierre

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/