Subject: Re: License Question
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Joshua Smith <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:42:20 -0400

Please check out the project web page for links to available information
and ports:  http://cygwin.com/ .

If you don't see what you need there, then the cygwin mailing list is
the best place to make observations or get questions answered.
Information on the mailing list is available at the project web page.

For your convenience, I've reset the Reply-To: address to point to the
cygwin mailing list.  I've also Cc'ed this reply there.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:32:07AM -0400, Joshua Smith wrote:
>Mr Faylor,
>
>Judging from what I've read on the gmane.org site, you seem to be the 
>right person to send this question to.  If you are not, I apologize, 
>and would appreciate a pointer to the right person.
>
>We are developing a software product which needs an MPEG-1 encoder.  
>The one written by Berkeley in the mid '90s is sufficient for our 
>needs, and it is offered under the usual Berkeley license.  However, it 
>is written for Unix platforms, and I can port using cygwin in about 2 
>minutes, or I could port to MS C++ in about 2 weeks.  Obviously, the 
>cygwin choice is more appealing!
>
>Clearly, I can put together a zip with the cygwin src and the berkeley 
>src, and comply with the terms of the licenses.  However, what is not 
>quite clear to me is whether I would need to include the source of our 
>software product as well.  Our product will not be "linking" to this 
>software.  Rather, it will invoke it as a separate executable.  The 
>things which muddy the water (at least in my mind) are:
>
>1) We would be redistributing the cygwin and berkeley software as part 
>of our installer,
>2) Our software would not be functional without this component
>
>In my gut, the difference between "linking" to a program and 
>"executing" a program seems like a pretty trivial distinction.  
>However, my reading of the license leaves me thinking that this 
>distinction *is* important.
>
>Can you clarify?
>
>-Joshua Smith
> CTO/Alpha Geek
> [email-masked]
> Kaon Interactive Inc.
> Tel. (978) 823-0111 x111
>
> www.kaon.com
>
>Kaon.  Changing Product Communication.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/