Subject: Re: [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?
From: Qwer Zxcv <[email-masked]>
To: Max Bowsher <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

Qwer Zxcv wrote:
>> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that

>> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used if needed

>> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g. downloaded/
>>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)

<big snip>

>> 1 What's the general procedure to do version-preserving cygwin
>>   installs?

Max Bowsher <[email-masked]> wrote:
> There is no recommended procedure to install multiple versions of
> Cygwin. The recommended procedure is to keep old package versions
on
> your hard disc and roll back to them if you need to.

Umm, I thought that's what I meant by "my old version remains
undisturbed, and can be used if needed." But apparently not, so allow
me to revise the question:

1 How can one install a new version of cygwin so as to preserve old
  package versions in such a manner that one can roll back if needed?

>> Also please note: I'd appreciate it if you could reply directly to
>> me, as well as to the list. I'm on the digest, to avoid flooding
my
>> inbox, but I'd like to get this problem fixed ASAP, without
waiting
>> for the digest. I have some scripts I need to run, in order to get
>> "real work" done, but for now I'm "dead in the water" :-(

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/