Subject: Re: Problems with Win 98 SE CYGWin Installation
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:04:02 +0100

> I've recently downloaded the setup.exe program
> from the website and every time I get to the package
> selection section of the program my machine hangs.

I've been running Cygwin from W98/SE, totally up-to-date and well-founded,
for ages.

1. I assume you mean you've downloaded just setup.exe and none of the
resource. By the way, setup.exe is just an installer, not a self-exploding
archived version of the entire application, like some Windows "setup.exe"
programs are. So if you run it from disk, you still need a network
connection to be open and running? Sorry, I'm sure you know this, just worth
checking ...

2. Maybe the file got corrupted during the download? You could try
initiating the download and installation using http://cygwin.com/setup.exe,
so as to operate from first principles, so to speak.

3. Some things take a LONG time. Are you requesting the default
installation? If you click the selector at All Default to change to All
Install, nothing happens (I mean, nothing -- not even an eggtimer) for up to
a minute. This can give the impression of hanging without actually having
hung ...

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/