Subject: Re: cygwin on a disk?
From: Sam Edge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:17:24 +0100

cgf wrote in <[email-masked]>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:57:15 -0400:

> DO NOT MANIPULATE THE REGISTRY DIRECTLY.
> mount.exe is 19.5K.  It's well worth including this in the minimal cygwin
> installation and not manipulating the registry directly.

I wasn't sure whether mount.exe would work without a minimum registry
configuration already there, especially for the root and so on. If you
say it doesn't mind then fair enough.

So the trick is to write a little install command such as the attached
one and call it with the USB drive letter as a parameter before you
start a bash shell with cygwin.bat.

You could make usb-cyg.bat create a cygwin.bat file on the hard disc
on the machine instead of re-writing the one on the USB drive every
time so that you don't need to re-run it when you go back to a
machine. There are plenty of other ways you might like to improve it.
(I've probably forgotten something in the batch file anyway!) ;-)

Regards,

-- 
Sam Edge
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/