Subject: Re: rootless X server, wow!
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:31:47 -0400

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 08:38:31AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>The XFree86 4.3.0 release notes mention:
>"Various Cygwin support updates, including an experimental rootless X 
>server for Cygwin/XFree86."
>which made me drool, but the latest Cygwin is still at XFree86 4.2.0.
>
>A little poking around, though, showed that the rootless mode is already
>in Cygwin as of Jan 2003; see http://xfree86.cygwin.com/
>I verified that Xwin -rootless does seem to kind of work,
>but I couldn't figure out how to make it start with 'startx'.
>
>Seems like that ought to be an FAQ, but it's not in
>http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html
>
>One possible answer is at
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-03/msg00040.html
>namely, create ~/.xserverrc containing
> exec X -rootless
>
>I just tried this, and it works!  This is so cool!
>It might just get rid of one big objection my wife
>has to using cygwin: "that icky big X window".
>
>BTW, I only just discovered the cygwin-xfree-faq.
>Shouldn't the main Cygwin FAQ point to that document with big flashing 
>arrows?

Your search was a little off.  You found the cygwin XFree86 FAQ but
apparently didn't find the Cygwin XFree86 mailing list where XFree86
is intended to be discussed.  There is an XFree86 link on just about
every page at the cygwin site.  I can't imagine why that would be
insufficient for leading you to XFree86 resources.

If you have questions about cygwin-xfree please use the appropriate
mailing list.  I've cc'ed this message there and will close off
further discussion on this subject shortly.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/