Subject: RE: A request?
From: "Fletcher, Bob (GEAE, IT)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Gord Wait'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:43:21 -0400

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I'll jump in anyway.

To the original question; I'd like to violate group etiquette and throw in a big
"Me to". Having a cleaner versioning process would be a big benefit to cygwin.

Also to the original question, a suggestion. I have the same problem. I've taken
the approach of running 'setup' on a box, then capturing the files, my preferred
mount points, path settings and anything else I want to change, and building a
Microsoft format "msi' package. I can put this on a server and distribute it to
internal users and they get exactly my configuration.  BTW, all you really need
is a zip of the cygwin directory and  .reg file dump  of 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
The MSI is just a bit easier to install, and I can pput in the shortcuts for
people.

Third, in response to cgf
>Sorry but you are not a customer.  You're a user.  There is a subtle
>difference.  Being a customer implies some seller/buyer relationship
>which would entitle you to some kind of service from the seller.  Cygwin
>is offered as-is to you with nothing guaranteed other than you get the
>source.

I'd love to be a customer! I keep asking Redhat about it, but there's no product
to buy. I think that if you offered a cleaner distribution, you'd have a viable
product. It works for Redhat linux.... ActiveState Perl, Tcl ect. Other
companies offer similar Unix-like products, but cygwin is better. :)  

( Would someone at Redhat please copy this to Rebecca Ward@redhat. I can't find
her email, I doubt she reads the list.)

Bob.

	g             GE Aircraft Engines
	______________________________________________
	     Bob Fletcher
	     Analysis and Engineering Systems
	     GE Aircraft Engines,  
	     1 Neumann Way, Evendale, OH 45215

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Faylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 9:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: A request?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:43:36PM -0700, Karl M wrote:
>>If you want predictable behavior, then you should probably burn a CD
>>with the source code as well and pass it around.
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You don't need to put the source code on a CD supplied to co-workers.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/